The Washerwoman

Monday 10 August 2009

Baxters of Oxord Street

I am on the look out for that Time Machine again! Just look at this amazing shop, I would just love to visit.......
Some months ago I bought a huge lot of old sewing items from an auction. Gradually I have been sifting through and sorting all the items.. some to keep and enjoy, and of course some to be sold as I really do not have the space to keep it all (and it might cause a Divorce if I did!)
These images are from a selection of catalogues from a shop in London called Baxters, which was based at number 51 Oxford Street. The invoice inside one of the leaflets is dated 23rd November 1951.
The dress fabrics are listed, and include such temptations as "Printed Organdie......Slipper Satin.... Printed Egyptian cotton.. Glitter Georgette......Metal Brocades (Made in France) and of course Felt in 52 Glorious colours"
There are patterns for toys... slippers.. handbags.. Bonnets & Berets.

It has been such fun to sift through all these treasures. I have now decided which to keep and the rest will be going with me to Rag Fair in the village of Chagford (near Exeter) on October 3rd. A possible date for the diary if you enjoy sewing, making things & crafts?

2 comments:

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello Liz
What wonderful things you have bought and I can understand why you would not want to part with some of them!
Oh wouldn't that just be wonderful to be able to step back in time and experience walking around in and shopping in these shops!I have thought that on many occasions. As a child, I spent some of my holidays with my English Grandparents, they lived just outside Reigate in Surrey. When we went to the park in Reigate we would go to the bakery first to get some bread for the ducks.
On the way there, there was a very old fashioned shop selling clothes and all sorts. It was furnished in the way I like. It had not moved on with the times. I wonder what has happened to it now. I have not returned to Reigate since I was was a child.Sometimes it's best to leave things in the past and remember them as they were...I am in 2 minds whether to return so that I can show my daughter where I used to spend some of my childhood holidays....
Take care
Isabelle x

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi busy Liz,
Busy buying then! I love old sewing finds and haberdashery too.

Let me know if you find that time machine...you'd take me with you, wouldn't you? They just don't make fabrics like they used to, so I'd love to stock-up! ;-))
I found a copy of a wonderful magazine entitled 'Christmas 1919' - the fashions inside were so elegant...I'd go back for those too...

Have lots of fun today ;-))
Niki x